Center for Strategic Research (CSR)
The Expediency Council
Imam Khomeini (r.a.) issued a decree for the establishment of the Expediency Council on 6 February 1988 with the mission of resolving differences on conflicts between the Parliament and the Guardian Council.
The Supreme Leader in his appointment letter to select the members of the 4th round of the Expediency Council in March 2002 said:
"It is expected that the Expediency Council in continuation of its previous activities, use the expertise of its experienced and talented staff, strengthen its specialized committees and secretariat, and fully exploit the capacity of the Center for Strategic Research in order to consolidate the general policies of the state and to take serious steps to solve the problems of the country."
"When I was president, I felt that we need a center to deal with strategic issues on the basis of scientific and academic research. Therefore, the establishment of such an institute was placed on the agenda."
Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanjani, the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, following the end of eight year imposed war and in the period of reconstruction, established the Center for Strategic Research in 1989 with the goal of creating a scientific and research basis for tackling vital issues.
His view on the Center for Strategic Research, when he was president of the Islamic Republic of Iran, was centered upon freedom of thought in addressing scientific and religious issues and building a bridge between executive bodies, academic centers and seminaries. In 1997, late Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanjani as the then chairman of the Expediency Council issued a decree for transferring the Center for Strategic Research to the Expediency Council. Since then, this center has continued its activities in the framework of the tasks of the Expediency Council including formulating the general policies of the state, delivering consultation to the Supreme Leader, and providing solutions for large scale problems.
In November 2013, Dr. Ali Akbar Velayati was nominated by the then chairman of the Expediency Council as the President of the Center for Strategic Research.
Dr. Velayati is a prominent figure in executive and political fields as well as in the realm of science and research. He directed the foreign policy of the country for 16 years (1981-1997) as the Minister of Foreign Affairs. Since then, he has played an effective role in the process of formulating the guiding principles of foreign and domestic policies as the special advisor of the Supreme Leader in international affairs.
Dr. Velayati is a world well-known personality in the field of science and research and enjoys a high status in the international scientific forums. He authored about 180 books in medicine, history, Islamic and Iranian culture and civilization, and foreign policy.
His new approach to the status and role of the Center for Strategic Research in direct relation to the Supreme Leader and the Expediency Council has given rise to new missions for this center including:
- Providing scientific and research support for critical decisions at the national level.
- Conducting basic, strategic and applied research.
- Concentrating on strengthening and reconstructing the pillars of a new Islamic civilization, and paying special attention to the Islamic world.
- Carrying out future studies to gain the upper hand in the all fields of science and technology.
Dr. Velayati as an international well-known figure emphasizes on the importance of international interactions and in his meeting with officials and reputed political and academic figures discusses about current international issues and the status and role of the Islamic Republic of Iran in solving regional problems.
The mission of the Center for Strategic Research is stipulated in the decree of the then chairman of the Expediency Council to appoint Dr. Velayati as the president of the CSR: "I am confident that you lead the Center for Strategic Research in the framework of the general policies of the state to serve as the research arm of the Islamic Republic of Iran and especially, that of the Expediency Council.
The Center for Strategic Research has pursued following goals relying upon the efforts made by scientific and executive elites since its formation in 1989:
· Conducting strategic and basic research with the aim of making the Islamic state more prosperous.
· Providing scientific and research works to support the formulation of general policies and making critical decisions at the national level. These works contains basic, strategic and applied research.
· Reconstructing and renovating the pillars of a new Islamic civilization through building a firm basis for Islamic culture and civilization, and moving towards the resurgence of Islamic civilization.
· Conducting future studies and in depth research to gain the upper hand in all the fields of science and technology.
The Center for Strategic Research has defined following tasks to achieve its objectives:
· Continuous monitoring of the realization of high level documents (Vision Plan 2025, general policies of article 44, etc.) and state policies in all dimensions: political, economic, cultural, etc.
· Fostering cultural elements to make the Islamic system more prosperous.
· Establishing links with scientific centers at the world level, especially those located in the Islamic world and exchanging scientific findings with them.
· Creating cultural ties among Islamic countries.
· Consolidating and supervising the general culture of society on a regular basis, and explaining Islamic and Iranian identity.
At the present time, Dr. Velayati is the president of the Center for Strategic Research; before him, Dr. Hassan Rouhani, President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, held this position for two decades.
Also, the Center for Strategic Research draws upon the cooperation and consultation of some experienced officials and former ministers as its advisors.
The Center for Strategic Research as the highest research institution acting under the supervision of the highest legislative body in the country bears a heavy responsibility not only within the country but in the Islamic world to preserve and reinforce the Islamic Republic of Iran and Islamic values.
Achieving the goals set out in the Vision Plan and those related to this scientific center, as well as performing tasks undertaken by the CSR staff depends on complying with moral, ethic and scientific standards.
The existence of special audiences who are involved in decision- making process in the country, makes this institution distinguished from other research bodies and gives it a more sensitive role in the domain of policy-making.
Dynamic thinking, paying attention to the realities of surrounding environment, understanding relevant phenomena, keeping pace with technological developments and the rapid flow of information, interacting with the world and exchanging views with other scholars are the prerequisites for a research center with such a high status.
Sound thinking, deliberation, logical reasoning, planning, and taking responsibility are necessary elements for those who are involved in executive affairs in the CSR to guarantee its survival and progress.
Along these lines, we deem ourselves being loyal to values, morality and science and try to go through these guidelines:
- Intention of approaching God.
- Being confident in decision-making, sincerity in action and word, being attentive to research subject matter.
- Being proud of valued criteria by respecting ethical principles at the highest level of standards in interaction.
- Being confident in internal capabilities.
- Attaching importance to collective wisdom.
- Being loyal to the users of the CSR publications.
- Belief in national interests as well as strengthening self-confidence, self-reliance, and Islamic-Iranian culture.
- Sincerity in conducting scientific activities.
- Being interested in strategic research.
- Cooperating with other governmental institutions.
- Respecting senior and prominent professors.
- Promoting peace and international interactions.
- Feeling grateful towards martyrs, handicapped and former prisoners of war.
- Respecting people.
- Helping wealth generation and protecting entrepreneurs.
- Bolstering fraternity.
- Constant monitoring of economic, cultural, social, scientific, technological, legal and international necessities.
- Being insightful in selecting goals.
- Being motivated by independence, freedom and self-sufficiency.
- Paying attention to intergenerational and futuristic studies.
- Evading passivity.
- Interacting with the world and international community.
Deputy President of the CSR and Head of Executive Affairs and Information Department.
Gholamreza Froozesh was appointed by the then chairman of the Expediency Council as the head of the CSR's Executive Affairs and Information Department.
He served as Minister of Jihad of Reconstruction for nine years during the eight year imposed war and subsequently the reconstruction era. He is known as an influential personality in planning for reconstruction, and infrastructure development of the country. Some of his executive records are as follows:
· Graduated in mining engineering from the faculty of Engineering, University of Tehran.
· Member of the central committee of the first Islamic Association of Faculty of Engineering following the Revolution, 1979.
· Member of the Founding Board of "Jihad of Construction" in 1980.
· Serving at Kurdistan's "Jihad of Construction", Summer 1980.
· Member of the Central Committee of Khuzestan's "Jihad of Construction" from 1981 until 1982.
· Being in charge of war affairs in Khuzestan's "Jihad of Construction" at the beginning of the imposed war.
· Member of the Central Committee of "Jihad of Construction" 1982.
· Commander of war support and engineering and being in charge of provinces affairs in "Jihad of Construction", from 1982 until the end of the war.
· 1988: Minister of "Jihad of Construction" in the fourth cabinet under the presidency of Ayatollah Khamenei.
· 1989-1993: Minister of "Jihad of Construction" in the fifth cabinet under the presidency of Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanjani.
· 1993-1997: Minister of "Jihad of Construction" in the sixth cabinet under the presidency of Ayatollah Hashemi Rafsanjani.
· Member of the Board of Preparation of the First Reconstruction Plan since 1988.
· Representative of the Council of Ministers in the High Council of Banks and the Council of Money and Credit until 1997.
· Member of the High Council of Economy during his ministerial job.
· Member of the High Council of Education during his ministerial job.
· Member of the High Council of Agriculture during his ministerial job.
· Member of the Council of the first and second Development Plan of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
· Member of the City Council of Tehran, First Round, 1993-1999.
· Chairman of the board of directors of Oil Industries' Engineering and Construction (OIEC), 1998-2005.
· Advisor to the minister of oil, 1998-2005.
· Deputy of the Executive Affairs and Information, Centre for Strategic Research (CSR), 1998-2000.
· Being awarded the first grade Armed Forces medal by the Supreme Leader.
· Advisor to the Chairman of the Expediency Council, since 2010.
· Being awarded two medals for cooperating with friendly nations.
· Being awarded an honorary doctorate.
· Compilation of lectures and presenting research papers in various conferences and specialized seminars.
· Member of the Centre for Strategic Evaluation of the Implementation of General Policies.
Gholamreza Froozesh in addition of serving as the head of the executive affairs and information department of the Center of Strategic Research and deputy president of the Institute for Strategic Research, is the head of the Council of Strategic Studies and the Strategic Council of Regional Studies.